Tuesday 12 September 2017

High School Math: The Journey

The journey through high school math is long, but fascinating.  I know, not everyone will agree with the fascinating bit, but there are ways to make it intriguing.  I thought I'd write a poem to introduce the basics of the journey and what it entails.  Hopefully it will inspire students and teachers alike!

Welcome to the big wide world
Of Ontario high school math
I hope this prose will help you
To navigate this path

First there comes Grade 9
Where you'll get straight into angles
First differences and slope
And the lengths of right triangles

Grade 10 brings trigonometry
Some guys long after Noah
Worked out trig ratios while staying 
At Camp Soh-Cah-Toa

In grade 11, functions
Finance, sequences, there'll be
Your knowledge of math will increase
Exponentially

In grade 12 there's Advanced Functions
Your peers will say just one thing:
"I see you have some graph paper
You must be plotting something..."

There's also Data Management
And Calculus & Vectors
Those last two come together
To make one course with two sectors

Calculus, my favourite
There's so much joy that's in it
Not everybody will agree
And I know, there's a limit

The intro's done to high school math
These puns you may well hate, but
'Tween good and bad math jokes it's hard
To differentiate


No comments:

Post a Comment